Friedrich Nietzsche once said, “The advantage of a bad memory is that one enjoys several times the same good things for the first time.” While this may be true for certain aspects of life, having a bad memory can definitely ruin your day, especially if you forget something of value in the back of an Uber, which apparently happens more than you’d expect.
Uber has released a surprisingly detailed list of the most forgotten items riders leave behind after a journey for 2019. As you would expect, common items like smartphones, keys and glasses top the list, however, it looks like AirPods have joined the ‘most common list’ with an increase of 21%.
Along with the more mundane, everyday items, Uber has also released a list of the more obscure things riders have left behind. These including mice that were going to be fed to a snake, fake Star Trek ears, and an Ouija board.
As for what day of the week people were the most forgetful, Uber reported that riders are ‘most forgetful’ on Fridays and Saturdays, and late at night. The most forgetful days of the year fell on 1 January, which could be because of the new year celebrations, and 27 October, which again, could be because of the Halloween celebrations.
Below is a list of the most common items left in the back of an Uber
4. Backpack / bag / purse
8. Vape / e-cig
9. ID / license / passport
10. Water bottle
Top 10 most obscure items left in the back of an Uber. Click here for the complete list
1. Mice for my pet snake to eat
2. A specimen cup from the doctor’s office
3. Husband’s CPAP sleep machine
4. A cooler of breastmilk
5. A six-pack of *much* needed toilet paper
6. One fake cosmetic tooth and a skin-coloured retainer
7. An apron with the name tag “Kayla” from Krispy Kreme
8. A cat paw print from the vet
9. Keys with my dead dog’s dog tag with the name “Lucy”
10. A lanyard that says “virginity rocks”
If you’re not too keen on adding to the list of most forgotten items, Uber suggests that you simply phone your previous driver and notify them that you’ve forgotten something. If however, you forgot your phone and are unable to phone them, you can log into your Uber account on a computer and follow these steps.
1. Tap “Your Trips” and select the trip where you left something
2. Tap “I lost an item”
3. Tap “Contact driver about a lost item”
4. Scroll down and enter the phone number you would like to be contacted at. Tap submit.
5. If you lost your personal phone, enter a friend’s phone number (you can do this by logging into your account on a computer, or using a friend’s phone).
6. Your phone will ring and connect you directly with your driver’s mobile number.