If you navigate pretty much anywhere on the internet, you’ll read about how much everyone is loving the Huawei P30 Pro – in fact, some have gone as far as calling it the phone to beat this year.
“Like its predecessors, the P30 series has superior photography and design hardwired into its DNA,” notes Akhram Mohamed, Chief Technology Officer at Huawei Consumer Business Group South Africa. “With this new range we are once again rewriting the rules of what’s possible in these fields, and are now extending it to videography. The Huawei P30 Pro has already received the highest score ever awarded on the DxOMark Mobile leaderboard – 112. The Huawei P20 Pro held that top spot for a year after revolutionising smartphone camera performance. The Huawei P30 Series not only lets Huawei break its own records, but also set a new standard for videography. ”
In my initial hands-on with the P30 Pro at the Johannesburg launch, the new camera system bested the camera on Samsung’s Galaxy S10+ and the Huawei Mate 20 Pro, but I’ll be able to provide a better comparison once I get a review device in hand. it’s worth noting that while Huawei showcased images taken with the P30 Pro and compared it to images taken under the same conditions from its competitors the exposure time on the P30 Pro’s image was longer than that shown on the images taken with competing devices.
Having said that, here are a few things we love about the P30 series:
- The specs
- The Huawei P30 Pro’s Leica Quad Camera System is a world-first for advanced mobile imaging technology and I can’t even begin to wrap my head around the sheer engineering wizardry the company performed to include the new ToF camera inside the slim body of the phone. The P30 Pro has a 40MP primary camera with a Huawei SuperSpectrum Sensor, a 20MP ultra-wide angle camera, a 32MP front camera, an 8MP telephoto camera fitted with a SuperZoom Lens and a Huawei ToF Camera.
- The Huawei P30, on the other hand, is equipped with a Leica Triple Camera consisting of a 40MP Huawei SuperSpectrum sensor, a 16MP ultra-wide-angle camera and an 8MP telephoto camera.
- Both handsets use a large 1/1.7-inch RYYB sensor which replaces the green pixels in the RGGB Bayer configuration favoured by other handset manufacturers with yellow pixels – an RYYB configuration – resulting in up to 40% more light reaching the sensor.
- The Huawei P30 Pro features a large 4,200mAh battery that supports the 40W Huawei SuperCharge, along with 15W Huawei Wireless Quick Charge and Wireless Reverse Charge.
- Both the Huawei P30 and Huawei P30 Pro also support smart car key, so you can link your phone to select BMW or Audi vehicles.
- Game-changing videography features
- The Huawei P30 Pro isn’t only great for photography, it brings a much-needed upgrade to smartphone videography. Incredible night-time photography becomes incredible night-time videography as the Huawei SuperSpectrum Sensor’s superb photosensitivity and the f/1.6 large aperture lens allow more light in and enable “night vision”.
- The Huawei SuperZoom Lens is also ideal for videos, as it’s combined with OIS, and the optical zoom provides magnification with minimal quality loss.
- Huawei’s new Dual Image Stabilisation Technology on the P30 Pro means that it offers almost professional grade image stabilisation support so that you can capture beautiful videos that won’t induce motion-sickness when watching them.
- Dual-View video (on the P30 and P30 Pro) which uses multiple cameras to simultaneously capture videos, meaning that you can capture a full view and close-up of the same scene. You’ll also be able to view both perspectives at the same time on the phone’s display.
- According to an article published on Android Authority, Huawei has worked with Snap Inc to bring improved photo and video quality when using the P30 and P30 Pro for Snapchat. Huawei says that the wide-angle camera will also be supported by Snapchat. It’s great that Snapchat is finally focusing on Android users, but it comes across as remarkably similar to Samsung’s partnership with Instagram.
- Huawei says that the colours of the P30 series are based on nature-inspired gradients, but no matter where the inspiration came from, the colours are beautiful (hey there Breathing Crystal).
- The P30 and P30 Pro are available in Aurora, Breathing Crystal and Black, although there is talk that Amber Sunset might be available as an exclusive to one of the mobile networks.
- All the other new products
Along with the Huawei P30 series, Huawei also introduced a new tablet, a notebook, and two new smartwatches at the launch.
- The Huawei MateBook 13 – This revolutionary 13-inch notebook has a 3:2 FullView display with 10-point multi-touch option and a screen-to-body ratio of 88 percent. It features Huawei Share 3.0, which enables easy smartphone-to-PC cross-platform smart interconnectivity. Other elements designed with young consumers in mind include the Finger Gestures Screenshot, Fingerprint Button 2.0 and Dolby Atmos®.
- The Huawei Watch GT Active and the Huawei Watch GT Elegant – These smartwatches have an ultra-long battery life (two weeks for the Active and one week for the Elegant) and use an innovative dual-chipset and smart power-saving architecture that enables them to switch between performance and efficiency modes The Huawei Watch GT can be used for continuous 24-hour heart rate monitoring and supports a range of indoor and outdoor fitness activities, including triathlon mode. They also scientifically monitor a user’s sleep quality and identify typical sleep issues.
- The Huawei M5 lite – This 10.1-inch 1080P Full HD Display tablet has powerful quad speakers with an audio system tuned by Harman Kardon to deliver professional theatre quality sound and immersive entertainment. It comes with the M-Pen lite stylus, which has 2,048 layers of pressure sensitivity, so users can jot down notes or mark up an email easily and accurately. Its Children’s Corner feature includes parental control and five enhanced eye-comfort modes to protect your child’s eyesight, such as smart reminders when the M5 lite is less than 25cm from your child’s face.
- You can buy a range of Huawei products on the company’s new online store https://huaweistore.co.za
Local pricing and availability of the Huawei P30 series
The new Huawei P30 and Huawei P30 Pro are available at MTN, Vodacom, Telkom and Cell C stores. You can also purchase these phones and other Huawei products at Huawei South Africa’s new online store. Go to https://huaweistore.co.za for more information.
P series smartphone
Huawei P30 Pro
|Huawei P30 Lite||
Local pricing and availability of other new Huawei products
|Pricing and availability|
Huawei Mate 5 lite
R5 999 – Available now on the Huawei Online Store, Takealot and Vodacom
Huawei Watch GT Active
R5 499 – Available from mid-April on the Huawei Online Store and at Sportsmans Warehouse, Cape Union Mart and Total Sports
Huawei Watch GT Elegant
R4 499 – Available from mid-April on the Huawei Online Store and at Sportsmans Warehouse, Cape Union Mart and Total Sports
|Huawei MateBook 13||
R21 999 – Available from June on the Huawei Online Store and at selected retailers