Meet robots that are more in tune with humans – even able to show compassion
New Honda robotics, artificial intelligence, and energy solution concepts launched at CES 2018 earlier this year demonstrate the company’s vision of a society where robotics and AI can assist people in many situations.
The new 3E (Empower, Experience, Empathy) Robotics Concept demonstrates a range of experimental technologies engineered to advance mobility and make people’s lives better. The situations in which they could be used range from disaster recovery to recreation and learning from human interaction to become more helpful and empathetic.
As part of the 3E Robotics Concept, Honda revealed:
- 3E-A18, a companion robotics concept that shows compassion to humans with a variety of facial expressions
- 3E-B18, a chair-type mobility concept designed for casual use indoors or outdoors
- 3E-C18, a small electric mobility concept with multi-functional cargo space
- 3E-D18, an autonomous off-road vehicle concept with AI designed to support people in a broad range of work activities.
In addition to the suite of robotics concepts, Honda showcased its Mobile Power Pack World, which includes a portable, swappable battery pack for electric vehicles, and a recharging system for use at home, recreation or during a natural disaster. The Mobile Power Pack World prepared for CES exhibits a battery exchanger concept that can store and charge mobile power packs.
Honda has always been strong on creating transformative products and is pursuing that way of thinking through Silicon Valley-based Honda Innovations, it also showcased its new Honda Xcelerator partnerships with start-ups in the Global Innovator Showcase at CES. The Honda Xcelerator partners:
- BRAIQ bridges the gap between human preferences and artificial intelligence to personalise the driving style of autonomous vehicles
- DeepMap provides HD maps and real-time localisation as a service for autonomous vehicles
- DynaOptics harnesses the power of free-form optics to bring superior situational awareness and safety to roads
- Tactual Labs brings real-time human body pose sensing to every surface and voxel
- WayRay is a Swiss developer of a holographic AR navigation system for advanced connected cars.
Honda announced the Honda Xcelerator program will expand its engagement of start-up ecosystems in Japan, China, Detroit and Europe. (Source: Honda.)