Microsoft’s next major update to Windows, due late 2012, will include an all-new Metro interface. Here’s how to install it for free (msdn.microsoft.com).
1. Download the Windows 8 developer preview.
2. Burn it to a blank DVD using the Windows disc image utility.
3. On your test PC, set your optical drive as the boot drive. Insert DVD; restart.
4. When the Windows 8 menu appears, select Install Now. To install along Windows 7, click on Custom and select an empty partition or drive. If not, just follow the onscreen installation prompts.
5. After reboot, you’ll see the new Metro interface. Welcome to Windows 8.