Modern-day artists are applying their own extreme concepts to the basic guitar layout, creating bizarrely beautiful instruments that are good to look at – and to play.
One of those whose work has won acclaim is Gig Goldstein. What started out as a chainsaw-carving hobby has led to intricate designs that showcase a range of influences from surrealist artist HR Giger’s Alien to his latest work, a tribute to Jimi Hendrix in collaboration with several other artists.
Hendrix would have been 70 this year; but the revered axeman died a drug-related death aged just 27 after a career lasting barely three years. He is identified most notably with the Fender Stratocaster.
Those involved in the Hendrix tribute guitar are:
* Brian Johnston – Concept, music, Hendrix guitar owner.
* Stephen Casper – Body, neck, electronics, build. (Casper Guitar Technologies, www.casper-gt.com)
* Scott Ouderkirk – Guitar case. (www.scottouderkirk.com)
* Nick Koukotas – Guitar strap. (Double Treble Guitar Straps, www.doubletreble.com)
* Gig Goldstein – Layout, carving, paint. (Gigs Carved Guitars)
Watch a video of the Hendrix tribute guitar…
Look out for our article on extreme guitars in the August 2012 issue – on sale on 23 July.